RoentDek is specialized in the production and service of high-end detectors for the scientific market. Most customers are found in universities and major research facilities worldwide.
The detectors give unsurpassed performance for single particle position and time detection tasks.
For that reason also a few companies have chosen to implement RoentDek detectors into standard instruments, among those are:
OCI Vacuum Microengineering, Canada
Gammadata Scienta, Sweden
ONS Imago, USA (now: Ametek, USA)
CAMECA, France (now: Ametek, USA)
Nova Scientific, USA
The instruments/applications are
TOF-MS (Time-of-Flight Mass Spectroscopy)
3DAP (Atom Probe Field Ion Microscopy/MS)
ESCA with PEEM/XPSmono (LEEM)
AES (with TOF coincidence)
RoentDek Hex80 detector (patented) for 3DAP
RBS and ISS setups with RoentDek detectors are in operation at several ion beam facilities. A commercial RBS instrument with a RoentDek detector is currently in the test phase in Japan.
A MS instrument for bio-molecules taking advantage of the position information on the ion detector is also in development.
The main reasons for the use of RoentDek single particle detectors in these instruments are either
- the high sensitivity (single particle detection capability with negligible background),
- the superior image quality due to digital imaging technique (see "Beyond CCD"), and/or
- the time tag with precision of < 0.5 ns for each particle combined with high position resolution.
RoentDek has also expanded the technique to the detection of single photons of visible and UV wavelengths with Image Intensifiers for applications like LIF and FLIM. For further information please follow this link.
Any instrument involving secondary electron amplification (micro-channel plates, channeltrons, etc.) for counting/timing of individual particles or photons may benefit from replacing the image sensor with a RoentDek delay-line detector as long the count rate is not too high (<1 Mcounts/sec):
- Simultaneous digital position and time tagging of each individual particle/photon can give valuable information and can speed up the image processing.
- The delay-line readout method will diminish background and produce pictures of high contrast.
- Especially imaging techniques which require precise timing information can greatly benefit in sensitivity from the simultaneous position and timing precision of the RoentDek detectors.
If you have an industrial application where our detectors can be beneficial please contact us.